7500 North Glenoaks Boulevard, Burbank, CA, USA
Woodbury University invites applications for a full-time Assistant, Associate or Full Professor for the Game Art and Design program within the School of Media : Culture : Design, with an emphasis in Game Design. The ideal candidate is experienced and knowledgeable about all facets of teaching primary game design, game programming, and management of software applications, engines, tools, and related hardware. We seek someone to collaborate with other faculty towards further development of the Game Art and Design program.
About the School of Media : Culture : Design
The school enrolls over 300 students encompassing seven undergraduate programs in the fields of animation, fashion design, filmmaking, game art and design, graphic design, media studies, and psychology. By bringing together these diverse fields, our programs provide innovative learning opportunities in an interdisciplinary environment. Students are encouraged to explore the areas between and around the disciplines as they develop their personal vision and professional paths.
Salary and Benefits
Faculty rank and salary are commensurate with teaching experience, professional background, and the degrees held; range is $65,480 to $117,984. Contract renewal and rank advancement at Woodbury are contingent upon satisfying departmental and university criteria, which include effective teaching, meaningful engagement through creative work, scholarship, and service to the University. Woodbury University is a non-tenure granting institution.
This position qualifies University sponsored employee benefit plans and programs (e.g., group health insurance, life insurance, tax deferred annuity plan, sick, and paid holidays), subject to the eligibility requirements and conditions of each plan and program.
- Report to school dean.
- Develop and design curriculum to foster student learning, stimulate class discussions, and ensure student engagement.
- Provides academic advisement and professional mentoring to students.
- Maintain class records.
- Assess student coursework.
- Collaborate and support colleagues regarding research interests and co-curricular activities.
- Provide intellectual leadership and contributions to the field.
- Minimum earned Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree with considerable professional experience.
- An understanding of commercial or independent video game technical practices.
- Technical proficiency and working knowledge of key software such as Unity3D, Game Systems Programming in C#, Python, Autodesk Maya, Adobe Mixamo, Google Cardboard, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity in hardware, such as Oculus Rift and Quest.
- Technical skills of haptic feedback, stereoscopy to real-time object tracking, virtual reality, mixed reality, augmented reality, game networking, game AI, game physics, narrative design, and mobile apps.
- A passion for gameplay, level design, and player experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration within cross-disciplinary groups.
- Experience publishing game title(s) is desired but not required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the particular diversity and equity related issues and needs in a candidate’s field, or in higher education more generally.
Application: Review of applications will begin Immediately and remain open until filled.
All application materials must be submitted through the Woodbury University Job Board. Email applications and submissions on third party platforms will not be considered. Submissions must include:
- Current resume/CV which lists educational and employment history.
- Cover Letter detailing experience related to the job requirements.
- Contact information for at least three references.
- Link to personal/professional website if available.
- Please do not attach a portfolio of work to the submission at this time if no website is available — finalists will be asked to submit a portfolio of work at a later stage in the interview process.
About Woodbury University
Located in Southern California at the global epicenter of creativity and influence, Woodbury University earns its reputation as a leading creative university thanks to nationally ranked programs in its School of Architecture and School of Media, Culture & Design. What makes the university unique is the array of unparalleled academic offerings in its School of Business and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The university has been named a College of Distinction for 7 years running and has earned NASAD (MCD, architecture), AACSB (business), WSCUC, ACBSP (business), CIDA (architecture), and NAAB (architecture) accreditations. With an 8:1 student-to-faculty ratio, students learn from one of the most professionally accomplished faculties in the world, intern and work at the most innovative companies in the world, and go on to build careers that others only dream of. Please follow the link to learn more about Woodbury University: https://woodbury.edu/about/about-woodbury/facts-and-figures/