Hybrid (Berlin, Germany)
Hello! We’re Maschinen-Mensch, an independent game studio founded in 2014 in Berlin, Germany. We made Curious Expedition 1 & 2 and Codecks.io.
We are working on a new game IP set in imaginative caves of an alien world, filled with peculiar creatures & vegetation. Our studio’s expertise is procedural generation, tightly woven into gameplay, and with this new title we will expand on our previous experience and deliver one of the most sophisticated procedural worlds ever seen in a game.
You will be part of a small, agile team in a creative environment. Together with the Game Director and the Game Design Department, you will be hands-on and design, prototype and implement the gameplay systems of this imaginative multiplayer project. Required is that you have previous experience working as a Game Designer, and that you enjoy problem-solving, working in a team, to create new worlds, and like to work self-sufficiently.
- Work together with a team of Game Designers and the Game Director. Discuss and develop ideas and decide how to advance the features and content of the game.
- Be an outspoken part of the design group, so you can together take ownership over the quality of the game, drive meaningful game design changes and improvements.
- Prototype and implement multiplayer-compatible features with advanced Blueprint Visual Scripting techniques.
- Utilize Unreal’s Gameplay Ability System to implement flexible, tunable and replicated RPG features.
- Tune and iterate features beyond the initial implementation to keep them in context to a growing environment of game systems.
- Communicate requirements and goals between the Game Director and the Design Team.
- Keep the documentation of designs and systems up to date.
- Living in or willing to relocate to Germany
- Shipped a game before
- Demonstrable relevant examples of work with Unreal Engine (4 or 5)
- Solid knowledge of Blueprint Visual Scripting
- Willing to work with procedural systems
- Solid understanding of emergent game systems
- You are self-motivated and curious about new, experimental systems
- Fluent in English
Nice to have:
- Experience working on an action RPG
- Experience tuning complex resource and upgrade systems
- Experience working on a cooperative multiplayer game
What we offer:
- A relaxed, family-friendly, no crunch policy working environment
- Being part of a small, diverse, international team
- Competitive salary
- 25 days paid yearly vacation
- The opportunity to work on a brand-new game and IP from an early stage
Working remotely is possible from anywhere within Germany. If you’re based in Berlin (or willing to relocate) that’s definitely a plus, so that we can work together in person. Our studio is located at Saftladen, an indie game collective and co-working space for game developers that we co-founded in 2015.
We particularly encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, people of colour, and other groups that are underrepresented throughout the game industry.
Earliest start date: June 2023
If you are interested in working with us, send your CV and links to examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org